Accessibility On Our Coaches
Accessibility On Our Coaches
- Our guests have given us the
- based on their independent reviews
Richmonds have a range of vehicles suitable for passengers with disabilities.
If you are disabled and wish to book a coach holiday or trip please contact us beforehand as we regret that not all trips may be suitable, and not all our coaches are wheelchair accessible. If you wish to hire a coach that can carry a wheelchair or motorised scooter on board please read the information below and discuss this with our coach hire team prior to booking. We can only guarantee wheelchair-accessible coaches that are pre-booked when hiring a coach.
If you need assistance getting on and off a coach please contact us in advance and let the driver know on the day.
Please give our team advance notice of accessibility issues so that particular seats can be reserved for you. Our drivers will assist with the loading and unloading of customers’ luggage up to a maximum of 20kg. If you or any of your party need assistance embarking or disembarking or wish us to carry items over 20kg please, advise us before you travel and let the driver know on the day.
01763 848 226.
CARRYING WHEELCHAIRS &
POWERED SCOOTERS ON BOARD
Wheelchairs and powered mobility scooters come in different shapes, weights, and sizes and the more we know, the better we are able to advise. Please note that not all coaches are suitable, space on board is limited to one per vehicle and wheelchair access and locking mechanisms differ.
The wheelchair dimensions prescribed in government regulations covering public transport are 1200mm long and 700mm wide with a maximum sitting height of 1350mm. Wheelchair or mobility scooter access can be via ramp or lift. Be advised that lifts carry a maximum combined weight of 300kg and require a flat surface to operate. Please allow between 15 to 30 minutes of additional time for loading and unloading and ensure that the make, model, dimensions, and weight are discussed with the coach hire team at the quotation stage. The location of the pick-up and drop-off will also need to be discussed in detail as coaches require more road and pavement space.
On-board toilets are not wheelchair accessible so additional stops for comfort breaks may be required for your journey. Our coach hire team will be more than happy to discuss your requirements.
STOWING MOBILITY SCOOTERS AND POWERED WHEELCHAIRS
Small mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs can be stowed in the luggage locker for travel subject to the following:
- We are notified at least 1 week before the journey.
- Our booking staff are given the size, make, and model of the powered wheelchair/ scooter to enable checks to be made on the manufacturer’s website to determine whether it can be carried. The regulation reference wheelchair measures a total length of 1200mm (including extra long foot plates), a total width of 700mm, and a maximum sitting height (from the ground to the top of the head) of 1350mm (to see a diagram click here).
- We will advise customers, either at the time or by returning their call, about the suitability of their scooter/ powered wheelchair for carriage on our coaches.
- The scooter or powered wheelchair will break down into separate parts each weighing no more than 20kgs.
- If the passenger with the mobility scooter/wheelchair cannot stow it on their own they are accompanied at the point of departure and arrival by a companion who is able to dismantle and reassemble it to enable it to be stowed.
- The powered wheelchair/scooter is operated by dry cell batteries only.
- It is deemed that there will be sufficient additional room in the hold to carry the item.
We welcome fully trained and approved assistance dogs. However, please be aware that our coaches have different configurations and seating arrangements. Consequently, floor space can vary greatly between vehicles. Taking an Assistance Dog on board is subject to the following:
- The owner is responsible for all aspects of adequate travel and accommodation and may be subject to an additional fouling charge.
- An additional charge may be required if the assistance dog is unable to lie at the passenger’s feet. Aisles are not to be blocked for safety reasons. Assistance dogs must be tethered to a seat belt or seat stanchion using a car harness. This is to ensure, that in the case of an emergency stop, your dog does not slide down the gangway or fall down steps by doorways.
- You should check the itinerary to ensure adequate rest stops are planned to enable your dog to stretch and relieve itself or have a drink and/or a meal.
- Some coach parks, terminals or ports may not be suitable for independent travel with your dog. Check with your dog trainer before travelling.
- Please check the Government’s advice if you are travelling with your assistance dog post-Brexit.
- No other animals are to be carried.
- If you or any of your party are travelling with an Assistance Dog, please advise us in advance.
Customers can travel with us who need to carry personal oxygen supplies in hand-held bottles, however, other suppliers such as ferry companies or the Channel Tunnel operator may refuse them. Please check before travelling.
Image from Intermedical Homecare.
LIABILITY FOR LOSS OR DAMAGE
Richmonds Coaches (H.V. Richmond Limited) are unable to accept any liability for loss or damage to any property left unattended onboard a vehicle.
We welcome feedback and comments from our customers about our service to you. This will enable us to make improvements to the way we do things. Please Contact Us